Are you a vegetarian, and want to have fun barbecuing? Well, there is no shortage of options, and today, we are going to discuss one such recipe that is 100% meat-free and prepared on the barbecue. Are you aware of ‘Feta’? If yes, then you will be surprised to see it cook on the barbecue. You are going to get a unique texture and a great color.
Feta will be soft and golden from outside and creamy from inside. Moreover, you will get a smoky flavor, as you are cooking it on the barbecue. Simply putting, you are getting a great weekend dish that you can enjoy with your family or friends or both.
- 150 grams feta cheese
- olive oil
- extra virgin olive oil
- ½ a bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 red onions
- ½ a bunch of fresh oregano
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 2 handfuls of mixed tomatoes
- 1 large aubergine
- 1 big bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 courgettes (a mixture of green and yellow)
- ½ a cucumber
- 50 g shelled pistachios
- 250 g cracked wheat
- 1 bunch of fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons runny honey
- 1 lemon
- The process starts with lighting the barbecue and letting the coals become hot enough to cook anything.
- Peel and slice the onions into wedges, pick parsley and oregano and cut aubergine in half lengthways.
- Now, you need to add feta into a small bowl with some oregano leaves. Then, drizzle some olive oil and a pinch of sea salt onto the mixture. Mix the ingredients and keep it aside to marinate.
- You will have to make tabbouleh now and for that, you need to cook cracked wheat. Make sure you cook it as per the instructions that is written on the packet of that cracked wheat. Rinse and drain the cracked wheat. Set it aside so that it can cool a bit.
- Take parsley, mint and cucumber and finely chop each of these ingredients.
- Check if the cracked wheat has cooled down or not. If yes, then you need to mix finely chopped mint, parsley and cucumber in it followed by adding lemon juice and salt and pepper. Taste the mixture and if it is good, then move onto the next step, if not, then add that element that you feel is less.
- If your barbecue is hot enough to start the cooking process, then you need to grill all the vegetables along with garlic. Once all the vegetables are charred on both sides, you need to put them on the chopping board.
- Once all the vegetables are chopped up, squeeze garlic cloves out of their skins followed by squishing the tomatoes. Chop some oregano leaves and parsley, and put them on the vegetables. Then, season the entire mixture with olive oil.
- Now, take marinated feta and griddle it on the barbecue for about 2-3 minutes depending upon how hot your barbecue is. The feta will become golden and crispy, after which, you need to turn it around and cook other side for approximately 2 minutes.
- Take a small red copper pan and toast some pistachios over a medium heat until they get light golden in color. Add some honey afterwards to caramelise the nuts. Make sure they don’t stick to the pan’s surface.
- Tip the pistachios onto greaseproof paper after cooking them for a couple of minutes. Set the pistachios aside to cool.
- Add tabbouleh onto a serving plate with chopped vegetables at the top.
- Make some place in the center of the serving plate and place griddled feta in there. Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil followed by scattering over crispy smashed pistachios. Finally, crumble the feta over the top and serve it with toasted flatbreads.
This recipe will fill the mouth of your guests with water because it is extraordinarily delicious. Even your non-veg eating friends will jump onto this dish in order to get the major chunk. So, try out this recipe this weekend and see for yourself that how passionately everybody enjoys eating it.
Monica Henin, the author of this post is a reputed blogger and food expert. She has written a countless number of articles on healthy recipes and food tips. She also owns an online business, i.e., www.addonkitchen.com, which reflects her belief of educating people about good and healthy food…